Placements at the German-British Chamber
Brexit or not - London is calling! Despite Brexit, London and we, at the German-British Chamber, are open to your applications. German-British Chamber placement students assist the departments in their daily work and take part in continuing projects.
Next Application Round
We are currently accepting applications for the Tax Services Department and the Marketing Services Department for placements beginning in August/September 2020.
We are also accepting applications for both of these departments for placements commencing in February/March 2021.
What's on offer?
The German-British Chamber of Industry & Commerce is a not for profit membership organisation and the first point of call for German or British businesses wanting to expand into the respective markets.
To achieve the best service for this business community, we rely on a strong team of professionals.
During your placement, you will assist one of the departments in their daily work, including direct contact with clients and member companies, and take part in continuing projects.
You will have the chance to develop and prove your skills working independently as well as in a team in this interesting and varied business environment.
Placement Activities: Marketing (1 place)
- Research, preparation and distribution of address lists
- Support Market Entry projects for German clients
- Support companies wanting to expand their business activities through appointing a partner
- Research, preparation and distribution of economic information and statistics
- Research, maintenance and enlargement of the Chamber’s databases
- Help to organise events.
Placement Activities: Tax Services (4 places)
- Assisting with UK and German VAT registrations, the preparation of VAT returns, EC sales lists and Intrastat declarations
- Preparing UK Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) registrations and CIS returns
- Responding to tax law enquiries from British and German companies regarding UK, German and European VAT law in both English and German
- Supporting staff in their day-to-day tasks with a focus on client communication
- Researching and compiling information for internal guidance
Placement Activities: Legal department
We do not offer any placements for trainees; only Rechtsreferendare are accepted
See the Rechtsreferendariat page for more details.
- You are registered with a higher education institution
- You will graduate only after you have finished the placement
- The placement is relevant for your degree-related learning (Pflichtpraktikum)
- The placement must last 6 months
To apply for a placement with the German-British Chamber of Industry & Commerce please fill in the Application Overview and submit it together with the necessary additional documents stated in Placement Information.
Email your application to praktika(@)ahk-london.co.uk
Please note: we only accept Word files (.doc) and Acrobat files (.pdf)
Or post your application to:
German-British Chamber of Industry & Commerce
Ms Sabine Marland
16 Buckingham Gate
In order to complete a placement at the German-British Chamber, your application must include:
- Placement Application Overview
- Covering letter in English and CV (English or German)
- Enrolment certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) and/or most recent exam results
- Qualifications (work experience) opt.
Please note that your application will be rejected if you fail to include all items.
Please do not send orginals as these cannot be returned. Please either send PDF files that can be printed easily on A4 pages or hardcopy photocopies.
All complete applications are collected by Trainee Administration and distributed to the relevant departments. Only complete applications are processed.
The departments will select and contact candidates and usually conduct telephone interviews.
When a candidate has been chosen, Trainee Administration will send out a contract and information about funding and accommodation.
The selection process is usually done in autumn for placements starting in February/March and in spring for placements starting in August/September.
Placements in the UK
Unfortunately, the German-British Chamber does not arrange placements or hold lists of companies offering them. The German-British Jobs page often has advertisements from companies advertising such positions. In case no suitable placement is offered there, we suggest you try the following:
Praktikum in London
Please note that some of these websites may charge for their services.